Chandigarh is well known for its cleanliness & greenery and that’s one reason why it is called the city beautiful. Adding on to the mission, Chandigarh is soon going to be a smart city and will offer enhanced amenities to its citizens.
The UT administration has decided to give makeovers to all the sectors of Chandigarh in its first phase of the ‘Smart City’ project. Earlier, it was decided that only four sectors of the city will get the enhancement under the phase one of the project. But keeping in mind the smaller area of the Chandigarh city, all sector of Chandigarh will be furnished with smart city transformation plan.
Phase 1 of Chandigarh Smart City Plan
As per the Phase I Smart City makeover:
- All the sectors in Chandigarh will get 24 hours water supply.
- Proper sanitation system for sewerage disposal.
- Designated car-free zones in the city.
- Smart water meters and smart grid for electricity.
- Free Wi-Fi spots across Chandigarh.
- Intelligent traffic lights system with solar panels.
- The connection of smart pipes with a wireless processor to check leakage in real time, with an online monitoring system for the distribution in all the sectors of Chandigarh.
Other attractions of the Chandigarh make over
The work of the smart city project is in full swing in Chandigarh. The UT engineering department has already started putting the underground cable in sector 8 while the tenders have been floated to complete the project. Agenda of the project are-
- Pedestrian pavements and cycling tracks will be made on the roadsides on all the intersections for the commuters in order to discourage motorized transportation.
- Installation of traffic sensing lights for a smoother flow of traffic and lesser pollution.
- Equipping e-surveillance with CCTV cameras and sensors at every point for better traffic management.
- Making free public Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Setting up interactive kiosks.
- Establishing food courts and street cafes like in foreign cities.
- Separate open spaces for weekly vegetable markets and other recreational activities will be developed.
Funds required for the smart city plan
To fulfill the plan of Smart City initiated by the Ministry of Urban Development, Chandigarh will get Rs 200 crore for the first phase. An amount of Rs 100 crore has already been received by Chandigarh Administration for the project. However, the total cost of the city beautiful’s make over is pegged at Rs 6,200 crore approximately out of which Rs 5,950 crores for area-based development and Rs 250 crore is for the pan-city proposal.
Chandigarh will not be the same that it used to be. Apart from being the city beautiful, we’ll soon be able to experience Chandigarh as a smart city.
Also, Check Out
Chandigarh Gets its First Cycle Friendly Roundabout With Red Coloured Tracks