Government College in Sector 11 Chandigarh, which used to be a boys only college for under graduate courses has become co-ed from this session i.e. 2016-2017. Govt College Sector 11, which was earlier known as GCM 11, Boys College or PG Govt College 11 is no longer an only boys college. This college is situated just next to the most talked about girls college of Chandigarh – GCG 11.
Few things that have changed at Post Graduate Govt. College, Sector 11 include:
- College will admit both boys and girls in undergraduate courses.
- Almost 30% of seats have already been taken by girl students.
- Number of seats in BA have increased from 800 to 1000.
Second and third year students in undergraduate courses at this college are all boys. However the first year students will be boys and girls both.
This was the lone boys college in Chandigarh and the authorities have converted it into a co-ed one. If we talk about girls colleges in Chandigarh, then let us tell you that there are 4 “Girls Only” colleges in Chandigarh. Now does that not seem that justice is not being done to boys in Chandigarh?
How will Govt College 11 becoming co-ed affect students?
- Boys in the second and third year might feel jealous of their juniors, who will have girls in their classroom.
- The good news is that the campus will see some girls.
- The bad news is that guys will have to leave their freedom and be in limits when it comes to guy talks.
- Chandigarh now does not have even a single boys only college.
With admissions taking place, girls who are not able to secure a seat at MCM DAV College in Sector 36 or in GCG, Sector 11 happily opt for this Govt. College 11. However, some boys who thought of having some fun in a boys only college will have to study with girls. Some parents, who suggested their wards to study in a boys only college so that their wards could stay away from girls are left with no other option. And I guess, such boys would be extremely happy. While we are still trying to figure out if this is a good news or a bad one, we will leave it to you to take it in a positive way or a negative way.