After Being Green, Clean & Smart; Now Chandigarh To Become India’s first Cashless City!
Chandigarh has been always on the top in terms of everything ever since it got established. We all know that in recent past, Chandigarh has been awarded the titles of the greenest city, the cleanest city, happiest city and of course the smart city. Moving forward, Chandigarh is now eyeing to become India’s first cashless city. Indeed, it would be a new crown for Chandigarh and nothing can better after the demonetization row.
The Idea to Make Chandigarh a Cashless City:
This idea has cropped up from the mind of Punjab Governor and UT Administrator VP Singh Badnore. The idea is to make Chandigarh the first cashless city of India and you’ll be surprised to know that the first step in this direction has already been taken. Chandigarh Administration will encourage school and college students to spread awareness amongst their parents regarding the use of debit & credit cards, online payment, swipe machines and other methods of cashless payments.
People in Chandigarh are known to have a lifestyle that is being talked about and copied by other Indian cities. No, we are just not writing it for the sake of writing, but it is fact. The initial process to make Chandigarh a cashless city started from the demonetization move.
Cash Payments will not be accepted in Chandigarh
Going cashless seems much easy to talk and difficult to be implemented. However, Chandigarh has always been on the forefront when it comes to implementation. Here are few steps that have been taken:
Things are going to change. Get Ready, Chandigarh!
- No cash payments will be accepted at any Sampark centre in Chandigarh.
- Chandigarh residents will not be able to make any bill payments in cash. This includes electricity, water as well as telephone bills.
- No cash payments will be accepted for various other types of work in different departments of Chandigarh Administration offices.
- All Sampark centres and Government departments that accept money for various things will be provided with a debit card / credit card swipe machine.
- RLA (Registration and Licensing Authority) office in Sector 17 Chandigarh will also not accept any cash payments from people.
- Chandigarh government will even include small traders and businessmen in the city in this cashless drive.
Chandigarh is all set to abolish the fee of online payment. Previously, people were charged Rs. 10 extra for online transactions. Badnore has asked the officials to look into the matter and has demanded a clarification for the same. These charges were mainly levied on the online payment of electricity and water bills from which Chandigarh people can soon expect to be rescued. Apart from this, residents of Chandigarh are called out for help as awareness & spreading this idea is important to start with.
Are Other Indian Cities too going Cashless?
Yes, Chandigarh is always the first whenever it comes to anything good but even other cities are following the footsteps. Goa has announced that it would be going cashless by 30th December. But Chandigarh has set a deadline of 10 December 2016 to go cashless. This will make Chandigarh the first cashless city of India.
Be it the greenery, cleanliness, smartness, beauty, discipline to just name a few attributes, Chandigarh has been the best. Yet again, Chandigarh would be the first one to implement this idea and be the first cashless city of India.
Have to say something? Comment us below and let us know your thoughts on being a part of Chandigarh – the first cashless city of India.