The frequency of traffic collision in India is amongst the highest on the globe. With almost 15 crore vehicles using national highways across India, National Highways act as veins ensuring proper flow of traffic within the country.
A scary news, according to the report submitted by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), Chandigarh-Ludhiana road has been tagged as the deadliest. Having retained the killer tag, Ludhiana has bagged second position with a figure of 160 accidents in 2015.
National Highways & Accidents:
National highway passing through Ludhiana is the deadliest in the state just after Delhi. According to the statistics submitted by National Crime Records Bureau, number of deaths has doubled as compared to the death rate recorded in 2014. NCRB recorded 110 deaths on the Ludhiana Highway, 189 deaths in Delhi, 61 lost in Amritsar, 45 in Chandigarh and 106 in Srinagar.
Accidents in Ludhiana:
Ludhiana being the industrial hub, business population of Chandigarh travels to Ludhiana on everyday basis. What is shocking to know is that Ludhiana has jumped to the 19th position for the number of road deaths in the city. Earlier holding the 30th position, it is upsetting to know that the drastic drop has led to increased number of deaths on the Chandigarh Ludhiana highway. Official data reports 70 cases of injuries in road accidents on Chandigarh-Ludhiana highway.
What Makes Chandigarh-Ludhiana Highway the Deadliest:
Increasing number of road accidents leading to deaths and injuries has alarmed the population of Chandigarh. With Chandigarhians travelling to Ludhiana every day, certain reasons are to be pondered upon as to why road accidents have doubled. Some of them are:
- Poorly designed roads: Small undulations, imperfections on seemingly well laid roads and absence of proper road furniture like road markings, etc.
- Lack of sufficient signage before the exits – No diversion signs leading one to miss U turns and exits resulting either in long drives for exits or driving in wrong lanes leading to accidents
- Over Speeding – People driving over the stated limit leads to accidents. Due to untamed roads, it becomes difficult to stop a car driving over a speed of 80+.
- Congestion – Chandigarh Ludhaiana Highway, all set to become 6 lane highway, faces major traffic taking the same route for smaller distance thus leading to road rage and accidents.
- Absence of ambulance service leads to increased deaths as injured people are not transported to the nearest hospital on time.
- 24×7 highway patrolling is also not in place which leads to people crossing the subscribed speed limit.
Although, the Ludhiana-Chandigarh Highway is all set to become a 6 lane highway, we request people of Chandigarh to drive slow. Best quote that summarizes it is “Accidents Do Not Happen, They Are Caused”.