Chandigarh has finally reserved a spot in the list of smart cities of India. The news came in as M Venkaiah Naidu, minister of Urban Development announced the names of 13 cities which made it to the first phase of Smart City mission. Chandigarh had earlier missed the tag to be promoted as smart city in January 2016. Chandigarh along with 22 other cities were given an opportunity to apply under the smart city mission in the fast track program. All these cities including Chandigarh submitted their revised smart city proposal in April 2016 and the results were announced by the Government of India on 24th May, 2016.
Out of the total 23 cities, that participated in the fast track program, 13 have been selected to be be developed as smart cities under Narendra Modi’s Smart City mission. Chandigarh has been ranked at 4th position in this list. Here’s a list of all 13 cities that have been selected to be developed as a Smart City under the fast track program.
13 Smart Cities of India (Fast Track Program)
Chandigarh as a Smart City
- 1,000 CCTV cameras to be installed on city roads and in markets.
- All services through a single online portal for Chandigarh residents.
- 24 hour water and power supply.
- To make Chandigarh Cycle & pedestrian friendly.
- Chandigarh will be made a startup hub.
- Sector 17, 22, 35 and 43 to be revamped.
- Public transport system to be upgraded.
- Intelligent traffic management system
- Underground parking, Underpasses & over bridges.
- Police kiosks for citizen safety.
- Car free zones in Chandigarh.
- Public wi-fi zones across Chandigarh.
- And more…
Feature Image Concept: CU Blog
Smart Cities Map Image: Hindustan Times