The City beautiful which is also known as one of the smart cities in India is all set to get a world class Smart City innovation centre. This centre would be the first of its kind in India. If everything goes according tot he plan, then this smart city center for Chandigarh would be operational at Punjab Engineering College in Sector 12 of Chandigarh by the first week of April 2017.
PEC University of Technology declared the commencement of the centre during a Smart City workshop held on the campus. The students of PEC proposed this project of developing the Innovation Centre, which was approved by the Administrator V.P. Singh Badhnaur.
The motive of setting up smart city centre is to offer smart solutions for better infrastructure and a cleaner environment. This centre will be set up by the Chandigarh Administration & will be equipped with all the latest technology to develop the city beautiful Chandigarh into a smart city. This centre will be designed to provide services that will include public safety, traffic management, transport, water, power, waste disposal, lighting, telecom, and e-governance in the city.
Chandigarh Smart City Plan
The smart city project by the Chandigarh Administration will be developed in three zones.
- The first zone will be comprising of developments in Sector 16 and 17. The plan is to organise art shows at vacant space around the plaza.
- Cycling track and walking track from Sector 43 to Leisure Valley will be made.
- Installation of solar roof
- Developing more green areas in these sectors
- Food court on Jan Marg
- In the second zone, Sector 22 and 35 will be developed for the facilities of the community
Sector 43 will fall in the third zone of the development by
- Establishing business hub similar to Gurugram (earlier Gurgaon)
- Theater for cultural shows
- Business convention centre
Chandigarh’s problems raised in the project
Some problems that were raised and need a solution under the smart city project of Chandigarh include:
- Unhygienic drinking water
- 24X7 Water facility
- Unsuitable waste water system
- No underground power cables
- No smart meter for water and electricity
We wish that Chandigarh smart city innovation centre will find solutions to all problems and make our city Chandigarh a true smart city in all respects.
Also, Read Out