In an attempt to control air pollution in the city, the State Transport Authority of Chandigarh has banned the entry of diesel auto rickshaws in Chandigarh. Earlier, a ban was imposed on diesel autos in Chandigarh in the year 2008. Since then, no new diesel auto has been registered in the city but numerous autos often ply on city roads from neighbouring cities of Mohali in Punjab and Panchkula in Haryana.
Taking no chances this time, the STA has completely banned the entry of diesel autos in Chandigarh. Coming down strictly on diesel autos, the STA has already impounded 300 autos in the past 3 days and have even challaned 254 autos for non-compliance of proper documents.
Some facts about Autos in Chandigarh
- Over 12,000 diesel autos ply on Chandigarh roads everyday.
- 3800 LPG run autos are registered with STA Chandigarh.
- STA and Chandigarh Traffic Police are jointly carrying an exercise to challan autos.
- Autos contribute to air pollution in Chandigarh in a notable way.
- Apart from air pollution, autos also contribute to traffic congestion.
As autos are the lifeline for commute in Chandigarh, a lot of people have been affected due to this ban. Chandigarh Transport Undertaking has assured more local buses on city routes.