The Income Tax Department of India has recently issued a notification in a leading newspaper to inform every individual especially the taxpayers on how to link their Aadhaar cards to the PAN numbers using the SMS facility. The government of India from July 1, 2017 has made it mandatory for taxpayers to state their Aadhaar ID number while filing an Income Tax return or getting a permanent account number(PAN). So, if you still haven’t linked you Aadhaar Card with your PAN No. then you should do it as soon as possible within 1 month till June 30th 2017.
Importance Of Linking The Aadhaar To PAN
Before going further you should know what is the importance of a PAN and an Aadhaar Card in India. A PAN or a Permanent Account Number is a unique 10 digit code that is issued to all the taxpayers in India and while filing a tax return one needs to have a PAN card made. It is an important proof of identity as well.
An Aadhaar Card is a unique identification card that is mandatory for every citizen of India to have. It contains a 12 digit unique code and has the biometric and demographic information of every individual. The Supreme Court of India has made the Aadhaar Card a document of importance that every person needs to show for both registration & verification purposes to avail any scheme or service.
The Income Tax Department of India is urging the taxpayers and individuals of India to link their Aadhaar Cards with their PAN cards in a time frame of one month. The purpose of doing that is to:
- Prevent Tax Evasion
- Prevent individuals from applying multiple PAN cards
- Make the process of filling for Income Tax Returns easier
How To Link Your Aadhaar With PAN
The IT department has launched a new online facility to link a person’s Aadhaar card with his/her Permanent Account Number (PAN). But to make things even more easier the department has brought up the SMS facility to link the two identification numbers to which the deadline is June 30, 2017. A person can send an SMS to either of this nos- 567678 or 56161 and get the two cards linked together. And don’t panic if you are unable to do so with the SMS you have another option of e linking.
One can also link their Aadhaar and PAN on the official e filling website of IT Department. The steps to which is:
- Go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Log In by entering ID, Password and DOB
- Upon logging in, a pop up box will appear asking you to link the Aadhaar Card with PAN
- If pop up does not appear click on ‘Profile Settings’ and choose ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- All you details will already be there, verify the details with your Aadhaar card
- If details match enter you Aadhaar’s 12 digit code and ‘captcha code’ and click “Link now”.
- After a successful linkage a message will appear on your screen.
If your details aren’t matched with your Aadhaar one’s then you can provide the one time Aadhaar OTP to proceed further.