Jalandhar’s Aadampur Airport is setting itself up to start its domestic airline services from September this month. The date for new flights from Jalandhar has been fixed as 25th of September.
The Adampur Airport whose foundation stone was laid by India’s Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on December 16 after taking in account its viability reports drafted by government agencies has been nonoperational and raw since then.
The Jalandhar’s Adampur Airport
The Jalandhar’s Adampur Airport was going through land acquisition issues in the past. The airport needed atleast 40 acres of land and has got 36 acres right now.
The airport has been serving the Indian Air force before and the commercial flights will be using the same runway that the Air Force uses to land its aircraft. The work on the terminal building is in full boom.
The first flight that will begin from the Adampur Airport will connect Delhi at a fare of Rs 2,500per/person from September. It will be a one-way flight.
Aadampur Airport-The Benefits For the People
The Adampur Airport will prove to be of great use for local people, businessmen and students who come to Jalandhar from different parts of the country to study.
- After the operations begin at the airport it will give a major boost to the economy of the region
- For the businessmen, they will not have to take a 2 hr long journey to reach Amritsar airport to board the Delhi flight
- It will really benefit the NRI’s living in Jalandhar, Hoshiarpur and Nawanshahr
- People coming to pay pilgrimage at the Chintpurni temple will also be benefitted
- The Adampur airport will prominently serve people from the Doaba region and bordering the Himachal Pradesh
- Students from all over the country and abroad come to study at the LPU varsity and the airport will make their air travelling much easier
The highly prestigious Lovely Professional University(LPU) has sponsored 50% of the costs for the first six months for the flights, that will lessen the chances of them running into losses.
Adampur Airport Construction Cost
The administration has already started the development work at the airport still a sum of Rs 1 crore is required for the provision of water, electricity and the construction of link roads.
At Jalandhar airport, the link road alone will cost Rs 33 lakhs and for water, a tubewell will be installed that will cost around Rs 10 lakh.
The Airport Authorities of India(AAI) are still going slow on some fronts regarding the development of the Adampur airport as they still have not applied for the power and water connection. Moreover, the 36 acres of the land at Adampur airport in Jalandhar has been given by the district administration is yet to possessed.
Also, Check out