Just like other big cities in India, Chandigarh too has some famous libraries. Many of you will agree to the fact that a library is not just a room full of books, it is a room of ideas, a room where history comes to life. It is said that if you have experienced the life in a library you have experienced everything. A library is not just for preparing for exams, a library is a place where your brain is full of ideas and where you get to know your own self.
If we talk about Chandigarh, then our city beautiful has quite a decent number of libraries. We have listed some well-known ones below:
Libraries in Chandigarh
From the library at Panjab University Chandigarh to British Library and from State Library to Browser, Chandigarh has a wide variety when it comes to libraries in the city.
A.C. Joshi Library, Chandigarh
Named after an illustrious Vice-Chancellor of Panjab University, A. C. Joshi Library was established in the U.S. Club, Shimla in the year 1947. This library in Chandigarh is centrally air-conditioned and has a seating accommodation of over 500 readers. A.C. Joshi Library has more than 6.4 Lakh publications including books, bound volumes of journals, theses/dissertations, rare books, reports, government documents, back files of newspapers and much more. A.C. Joshi is the only library at Chandigarh which operates 24*7.
- Address: Panjab University, Sector 14, Chandigarh.
- Contact Number: 0172 2534551
- Website: http://library.puchd.ac.in/
The Browser Library And Bookstore
The Browser library has integrated the concept of a library and a bookstore. Established in 1997, The Browser Library And Bookstore is one the best libraries in Chandigarh. It is located in one of the posh sectors of Chandigarh. The Browser has over 20000+ collection comprising fiction to non-fiction to children books. The store specialises in procuring books on demand. The Browser has a team of 10 members and also has a unique ambience which provides book lovers with a completely different experience.
- Address: Sco-14/15, Madhya Marg, Sector 8C, Chandigarh
- Contact Number: 0172-2547340
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/browser8/
- Library Timings : Monday-Saturday (10:00am-7:30pm) , Sunday Closed
British Council Library, Elante Mall
British Council has different types of books like fiction, short stories, drama, poetry, graphic novels and junior books. This Chandigarh Library also has digital magazines, e-journals, e-movies, e-literature and CDs/DVDs. British Library has different membership plans and even non-members can step in, browse and read books which makes British Library one of the most popular libraries in Chandigarh.
- Address: C515, 5th Floor, Elante Office Block, Chandigarh.
- Contact Number: 0120 456 9000
- Library Timings : Monday – Saturday ( 11:00am-7:00pm ) , Sunday closed
- Website: https://www.britishcouncil.in/about/what/our-presence-in-india/british-council-chandigarh
The State Library, Sector 34 Chandigarh
The State Library, Sector 34 Chandigarh was inaugurated on 14th August 1995. The state library is one of the biggest libraries in Chandigarh. It has 3 floors and is spread over an area of more than 2400 sq. yard. The basement section of the library has children section, acquisition section, binding section and a large reading room. The ground floor has a sprawling newspaper, magazine section, a reading–room, lobby and an office. The first floor of the library has circulation section, technical section, and the reference section.
- Address: Sector 34, (Opposite Gurudwara), Chandigarh.
- Contact Number: 0172-2676002
- Website: http://chdstatelibrary34.org/
- Library Timings : Monday-Friday (10:00am-5:00pm) , Saturday and Sunday closed
Central State Library, Sector 17, Chandigarh
At the T.S Central State Library, you will find many students, research scholars, and children. T.S Central State Library is one of the oldest libraries in Chandigarh. This State Library in Sector 17 has academic as well non-academic books. You will find reference books, blocks, soft toys, recreational games and a lot more. For the convenience of people living in far-off areas, T.S Central State Library has a mobile library service as well.
- Address: Sector 17, Near DC Office, Chandigarh, 160017.
- Contact Number : 0172 270 2565
- Library Timings : Monday – Sunday (8:00am-8:00pm)
- Website: http://cslchd.gov.in/
Beant Singh Memorial Library, Chandigarh
The Beant Singh Memorial Library have books all the books related to religions including Jainism, Buddhism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Sikhism and Confucianism, Indian folklore, history of different countries, Indian epics, biographies of Indian personalities, world wars and on religious and cultural movements. Beant Singh Memorial Library in Chandigarh’s sector 42 has a very good seating arrangement.
- Address: Sector 42B, Chandigarh.
- Contact Number : 0172 2621409
- Library Timings : Monday-Friday (8:00am-8:00pm) , Saturday-Sunday (10:00am-6:00pm).
Also, Read Out: