The government has made it compulsory to link Aadhaar card with Pan card for those allotted with permanent account number (PAN) and Aadhaar card. The linking of permanent account number (PAN) with their existing 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number must be done before July 1. So just 2 days are left for linking your PAN with Aadhaar card.
The government has made it compulsory to submit PAN and Aadhaar card for the opening of bank accounts or making transactions over Rs. 50,000 and for the filing of tax returns. People who don’t have PAN and filling for a new one will also have to quote their Aadhaar number or Aadhaar enrollment ID. The government has made it mandatory to quote the 12-digit biometric Aadhaar or the enrollment ID at the time of application of permanent account number (PAN).
Linking Aadhaar with PAN Card
The government has made it compulsory to link Aadhaar card with Pan card for those allotted with permanent account number (PAN) and Aadhaar card.
The linking of Aadhar card with permanent account number (PAN) is expected to help check tax evasion through use of multiple PAN cards. Those who will not link their PAN with 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number will have their PAN cancelled. Moreover, they won’t be able to make any financial transactions.
What if your income is below the tax limit?
As per Section 139 AA, those who are not required to file income tax return because of income being below exemption limit, but possess both PAN card and Aadhaar are mandatory required to link them. Aadhaar card has been issued to 115 crore people, but only 25 crore people are having PAN cards in the country. 2.077 crore tax payers have already linked their Aadhaar with PAN.
Steps to Link Aadhaar card with Pan Card
The linking of permanent account number (PAN) with their existing 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number must be done by June 30, 2017. The linking of Aadhaar card with PAN can be done on the e-filling website.
- Kindly note for linking of Aadhaar card with PAN, the details of both must match. In the case of any discrepancies, you can upload a scan of your PAN card, or register via OTP on your linked mobile number.
- Keep your Aadhaar card and PAN card in hand and check if the details match on both.
- Log on to the income tax e-filing portal at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Enter your user id and password to access your profile.
- If you are a new user, you need to register on the portal by entering basic registration details such as PAN, name and date of birth.
- On the website, click on Profile Settings> Link Aadhaar.
- A new window will appear. Enter your PAN number and Aadhaar card number, name, DOB, Gender.
- After entering the details, enter the text in the Captcha code.
- Click on Link Aadhaar
- This will link you Aadhaar card with PAN card. A success message will be displayed confirming the linkage of two cards.
The last date for linking Aadhaar card with PAN is June 30th, 2017 and it can be done online on the official website of Income Tax Department or by sending an SMS to UIDAI to link Aadhaar with PAN.
By linking the PAN and Aadhaar card, you will no longer have to submit your Income Tax acknowledgement to the IT department. PAN would become invalid if you don’t link your PAN card with Aadhaar card by June 30, 2017.