The Ludhiana’s Sahnewal Airport will soon be seeing some commotion in the next few months by starting flights for the common public under the UDAN(Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik) scheme.
The Ludhiana MP Ravneet Singh Bittu assured that the UDAN flight services will start as early as possible. The MP has met the MoS for civil aviation Jayant Sinha and the Punjab officials in New Delhi for the same regard on Thursday.
The Ludhiana’s Sahnewal Airport
The Ludhiana’s Sahnewal Airport which has been spread across over 130 acres of area has not been hosting any commercial flight since 2014.
The MP has told that at the Ludhiana’s Sahnewal Airport:
- The Deccan Charters and Alliance Air will start regular flights in June and August.
- The 500km or less distance flights or those that will be of more than one hour will be at Rs 2,500 per person.
- The Sahnewal Airport will begin flights to Delhi, Mumbai and other cities
Punjab Government For Sahnewal Airport
Previously the several airlines due to Sahnewal Airport’s low customer demand faced a huge loss in its working days. Thus the Punjab Government is now making sure that the designated airlines don’t face any issue in the connectivity to the airport in the future.
The State and the Central governments will also provide financial relief to the airlines if they will suffer any loss.
The Punjab Government has further informed that it will join hands with the Centre and solve the issues of:
- Ability to successfully gap funding
- Relief on taxes on aviation fuel at refuelling facilities
- Absolution of landing charges and hanger facilities
- Increasing the length of the airstrip at the Sahnewal Airport
The Sahnewal Airport has been awaiting further development for many years by the Punjab government. The airport which was meant for the lighter aircraft has not received a great response from the customers over the years thus the functioning of the port was halted.