6th National level Winter Carnival at Manali, a glitterati event embraced 2017 with utmost warmth and vibrance in its air. The six day extravaganza known as Manali Winter Carnival commenced this Monday for 2017 season with full vigour and vitality featuring dramatic presentations of traditional lifestyle of localites, tableaux, folk dances etc.
The official beginning marked its footprints by offering prayers at Hadimba Devi temple following which the procession went onto the streets through the main road and ended at Manu Rangshala-an open air theatre in Manali. Approximately 77 mahila mandal teams performed and 39 others from Himachal showcased their talents in the event.
Manali Winter Carnival, 2017 | Event Details
What All is There at Manali Winter Carnival 2017
- The jamboree witnessed 7 states including Gujarat, Maharashtra, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Assam and Karnatka showcasing their cultural performances in full enthusiasm. Tourists from nationwide as well as from foreign enjoyed the performances of the troops.
- A separate market is set up where local manali cuisines are available to tourists. This local cuisine which includes siddu, gicchay, aksalu and femda is the speciality which is prepared by local women of the town leading to the upgradation of their morales and involvement in the societal development as a whole.
- SWomen dress up in Himachali dress and perform dance on Pahari folk songs. showcasing the rich Himachli Culture during the Winter Carnival at Manali.
- Sports competitions are held and tourists are welcomed to participate in adventure sports at Manali.
- Carnival Parade
- Winter Queen contest. It is a beauty contest where women participate for the award of Winter queen.
- A competition for Voice of carnival is also held.
- Street Plays are held in the main market areas of Manali.
Though 2017 version of Manali Winter Carnival is under progress, the first ever carnival of such scale was held in 1977 with the motto to promote winter games and local culture. Skiing competitions were a major attraction amongst the visitors at Manali winter carnival. Over the years due to lack of snow and climatic changes, though skiing is no longer a part of the event but Manali Carnival has certainly grown up from a baby to what it had to offer after 4 decades in the year 2017.