Narendra Modi visited Punjab on the occasion of National Martyrs Day (23rd March, 2015) to pay his obeisance to the statues of Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru at Hussainwala Village in District Ferozpur of Punjab. After paying homage to these martyrs with flower garlands, Narendra Modi addressed a rally. This was his first visit to the state of Punjab after being elected as the Prime Minister of India.
Here are the main highlights of what Narendra Modi said to farmers and people of Punjab in his speech:
- A new institute by the name of Bhagat Singh to come up at Amritsar. It will be Shaheed Bhagat Singh Institute of Horticulture and Education.
- Narendra Modi announced that Punjab would get Rs. 54,000 Crore in these 5 years. earlier, Punjab got just Rs. 20,000 Crore in the last 5 years under Congress Government.
- Civic bodies in Punjab would get Rs. 6000 Crore instead of Rs 4000 Crore.
- He talked about the importance of education and asked farmers to get their children educated so that they get jobs.
- He emphasised on saving water and asked farmers to follow a slogan “More Crop per Drop”.