Sonam Kapoor starer Neerja won the Best Hindi Film title for the year 2016 at the most prestigious 64th National Film Awards. The list of winners who got acclaimed for their exceptional work in the Indian cinema for the year 2016-17 was released today morning.
Out of more than 300 films that got nominated at the 64th National Film Awards this year, Sonam Kapoor, who played Neerja has got a special mention for her extraordinary performance in the film.
Highlights of the film Neerja
‘Neerja’ was a biopic of an air hostess, Neerja Bhanot who lost her life while saving the lives of passengers on board from the hijackers. Ram Madhvani was the director of the film and envisioned Sonam Kapoor to cast as the protagonist of the film. The jury of the National film Awards did not only find Sonam Kapoor’s acting apt enough but believed that she did justice to her character and sailed off successfully with the responsibility of the film ‘Neerja’ entirely onto her shoulders.
Awards won by Neerja
- Sonam Kapoor has been felicitated with I Am Woman Award on Women Empowerment for the movie Neerja.
- She won Critics Choice -HELLO! Hall of Fame Awards.
- Neerja was nominated as the Best Film at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne while Ram Madhvani was nominated as the Best Director.
- Star Screen Awards for Best Actress- Sonam Kapoor Won, Best Newcomer (Male)- Jim Sarbh. Best Supporting Actress- Shabana Azmi, Best Director- Ram Madhvani.
- Stardust Award for Best Actress- Sonam Kapoor (Nominated), Shabana Azmi won Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Female), Jim Sarbh won Best Actor in a Negative Role, Ram Madhvani won Editor’s Choice Best Filmmaker, Sonam Kapoor won Editor’s Choice Best Actress.
Jury @ 64th National Film Awards
To get the final list of the winners, the jury began choosing the best film for the year 2016 from mid- March. The jury panel was headed by the celebrated filmmaker Priyadarshan, as the chairperson for the category of feature films along with Raju Misra, an ace cinematographer and writer, as the chairperson for the category of non-feature.