Panjab University, Chandigarh never fails to amuse the city residents with its modern and innovative approach in incorporating ‘Sustainable-Development’ and ‘Green Features’ in its campus. This time introducing “Cycle-Dock Stations” in its campus, Panjab University in Chandigarh aims to make the premises of the Education Hub for many a vehicle -free zone. The nuisance caused by the “Gehri-Culture” that the students and their ‘Chandigarhism’ tag promotes in the University campus, PU aims to restore the discipline and decorum to suit the University’s requirements.
Panjab University, Chandigarh plans ‘Cycle-Dock Stations’
With its presence in the city beautiful Chandigarh, Panjab University realises its contribution to make the city clean and green and retain its “City Beautiful” tag as the well deserved one. Introducing the concept of having “Cycle-Dock Stations” at the campus, PU has proposed the idea as a consequence of the decision taken up by the authorities to make the Varsity’s campus as “No-vehicle zone” in the city. Well, sounds pretty fascinating because most of the foreign universities strive forth to make their campus surroundings as clean and green and as noise-free as it can be.
Panjab University, Chandigarh as ‘Vehicle-Free Zone’
Deriving this unique culture to restore the campuses’ beauty and avoid the congestion caused in the PU, the administration is all set to take measures in the direction of the move proposed. Lots of propositions have been made to make the campus vehicle-free. Students, Lecturers and the administration carried out a survey wherein around 50% have voted for the motion. Well, many feel that the de-congestion move taken up by the authorities is going to make the campus “empty” but authorities feel the need to do so to restore harmony and equality among students apart from the “gehri-culture” which is seen as menace in Panjab University, Chandigarh.
‘Cycle-Dock Stations’ at PU, Highlights
It is one thing to take a decision in a meeting headed by senior fellows with their optimistic views on the issue and an altogether different thing to implement it. Here are the highlights as to what the plan proposed to have cycle dock stations at Panjab University in Chandigarh would possess.
- Cycle Dock Stations in Sector 14, Campus of PU, Chandigarh to serve as the future of “Public Transport” in the University
- Feasibility study to be carried out for implementation of the plan by XEN-1
- The facility would be made free of cost for the University students
- Students can use the resource and travel till the destination, parking the cycles at nearest dock station available
- Around 10 regions in the PU campus have been identified to make them as “Dock Stations for cycles”
- Cycles won’t be allowed to ply outside the University campus
- Colour marking schemes and certain signs would be made to distinguish them from outside cycles
- Following the footsteps of Panjabi University Campus in Patiala, PU in Chandigarh would halt vehicles at main gate itself
- Various check points and barriers to be installed in the campus
We love the move and would like to maintain the standards as set by Chandigarh as a city with such propositions made in the Panjab University Campus in Chandigarh itself.
Source : HT
Also Read :