Shimla is one of the most visited tourist destinations of India that can be reached either by toy train or by road, which is really time-consuming. A few years ago, Shimla’s Jubbarhatti Airport was very much operational but the less number of air passengers due to costly fare led to its discontinuation.
UDAN scheme launch by PM Modi at Shimla Airport
It is now the Prime Minister Narendra Modi ready launch the UDAN (Udey Desh ka Aam Nagrik) scheme from Jubbarhatti Airport of Shimla to make the operations of the airport restart soon. The scheme will be launched for the better air connectivity for passengers coming from other parts of India. The scheme will be launched on April 27, 2017, where a passenger will cost only Rs 2,500 for a flight of an hour’s duration.
Reason behind the closure of Shimla, Jubbarhatti Airport
- The last flight that landed at the Jubbarhatti Airport, Shimla was in September 2012.
- In the year 1987, the Shimla Airport was constructed with regular flights of Vayu Doot, Air Deccan, Kingfisher Airline, Jagson Airlines operational without any funds or governments’ assistance.
- One of the reasons for closing down Shimla- based Jubbarhatti Airport was the high maintenance cost, with almost no utility.
- Despite, of the fact that Shimla is thronged by thousands of tourists from across India and abroad, the Jubbarhatti Airport was just a liability for the administration.
- It is now anticipated that after launching the UDAN scheme, the annual tourism rate of the state will increase by 12- 14%.
Concrete plans for Shimla Airport
Many political parties have talked about this issue of restarting the airport in Shimla but nothing concrete has been done in this context in the past. Now, the Himachal Tourism Department, as well as the locals of Shimla and its nearby places, are now eyeing on this UDAN scheme to kick-start on its scheduled day.
We all hope that the Jubbarhatti Airport of Shimla gets to see some sunshine with the launch of Prime Minister’s scheme UDAN and operational soon. This airport will be welcomed by many travellers and tourists from around the world. It will not only enhance the connectivity but will bring more revenue from tourism to the state.
More from Shimla