If you live in Chandigarh, it is obvious that you would be having an electricity meter installed at your home and you also might be paying the monthly bill for the same. Electricity bills in Chandigarh or anywhere else depend on the units of electricity used multiplied by the cost of 1 unit. Many people complain about electricity bills being too high and in some houses parents are always after their kids telling them to use electricity wisely.
Now, there seems to be an excellent solution to all this. Chandigarh Electricity Department is all set to launch prepaid electricity meters for the city. This means that there would be no more electricity bills and you would be paying for your electricity in advance.
Just as you recharge your mobile phones, now you will also be able to recharge the electricity meter that provides electricity to your home. Yeah, you read it right! Chandigarh Electricity Department may soon come up with prepaid electricity meters in your home for which the officials have already put up a petition before Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC). However, not all electricity meters will be replaced by these prepaid meters. These meters will be given only to those who opt for it.
With the implementation of these prepaid electricity meters in Chandigarh, you’ll be able to recharge your electricity meters just the same way you recharge your mobile phones.
The same provision already is in operation in many a cities in India, and for the first time may finally arrive in Chandigarh. Preparations are ongoing to set the rate cards for the pre-paid recharge. With this, it will be your choice to get your electricity meter recharged with Rs. 100, 500 or 1000. The recharge amount will be carried forward to next month. The department is also planning to soon float tenders to companies for coming up with a software for the project.
The list of companies providing the meters in Chandigarh will be made available to the consumers as soon as it gets decided if the meters will find their way into the open market or select retails.
How these pre-paid electricity meters work:
- You recharge the meter by entering some codes and amount onto a digital screen of your electricity meter.
- Once you are done using up the amount money, the meter makes you aware by its buzzers that it is time to buy more electricity.
- In case, you do not recharge, the power supply is stopped till the meter is recharged again.
- Recharge vouchers of Rs. 100, 200 and 500 will be available for the top up. And if you decide to pay for months in a go, then there are plans for you too.
And if you still are wondering if what advantages does it have over your normal meter payments, then read this:
- No need to stand in queues for paying electricity bills in Chandigarh.
- Make recharges whenever required.
- Keeping a tab on power theft will be easy.
So, cheers to Chandigarh. Get ready to become a little more hi-tech, very soon!
Also Read Out: