If you are planning to visit Rohtang Pass, you might be aware that you need a permit to go beyond Manali. Himachal’s Tourism Development Council has started the facility where travellers can request for an online permit to visit Rohtang Pass. No one is allowed to travel on Manali – Rohtang Pass road without the online permit.
While applying for Rohtang Pass permit is an easy process, but it has a wide range of terms and conditions along with instructions that need to be followed. Through this post, we’ll explain you how to get an online permit to visit Rohtang Pass and also the price that is being charged depending on your vehicle.
Why an Online Permit is Needed to Visit Rohtang Pass
As per the directions and orders of National Green Tribunal (NGT) only a limited number and kind of vehicles are permitted to go beyond Manali on Rohtang Pass road. These limits apply to the number of vehicles on per day basis to avoid traffic jams, congestion and pollution to hamper Rohtang Pass area.
The move also aims to maintain the natural surroundings by controlling and restricting the amounts of vehicles entering the place.
Travel to Rohtang Pass – Permit & Green Tax Details
- Procurement of online permission mandatory for people travelling to Rohtang Pass in Kullu District of Himachal Pradesh
- The online booking and pass to be made available on a first come first serve basis without preferential treatment for anyone
- The morning session of allowing vehicles to enter the place to ply between 6:00 am to 9:00 am
- Exactly 400 petrol variants and 200 diesel cars to be allowed in one session at one go
- Availability of online mode of payment of green tax made available for the tourists at barrier areas
- Similar norm to ply on the second session which would run from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
- POS machines to collect the tax installed at check barrier points for smoother traffic flow
- Lahual-Spiti bound vehicles to be excluded from the tax paying and online booking list
- Such vehicles only to pay INR 50 as a congestion fee
Rohtang Pass Permit – Cost of Online Pass & Time Restrictions
Stipulated and made pretty convenient for people to travel, the nominally charged online permit for Rohtang Pass in Kullu-Manali travel itinerary to cost a reasonable sum which would not burn your pocket at all.
The time to book an online permit for Rohtang Pass through the official website of Himachal Tourism is only from 12 noon to midnight.
Rohtang Pass Permit Fee = Rs. 500.
Congestion Charges = Rs. 50 for cars, jeep, SUV, MUV and Rs. 100 for buses.
Green Tax = Rs. 100 for bike, Rs. 200 for cars, Rs. 300 for passenger vehicles and Rs. 400 for goods vehicles.
If you are travelling by car, then the total fee comes out to be Rs. 750.
In most cases, you’ll have to buy your Rohtang Pass permit one day in advance.
You’ll be required to give the details such as vehicle number, driver name, contact number, the number of passengers etc.
Once you have the pass, vehicles are allowed to go beyond the barrier on Manlia – Rohtang Pass road only in two time slots. One is from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM and then from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
To Book your online permit for Rohtang Pass, visit the official website of Tourism Development Council Manali by clicking on the name.