Tourists visiting Shimla will now see beautiful golf cars plying on the Mall Road, the ridge and some other roads where vehicles are not allowed. These golf carts have been introduced by the Himachal Pradesh government as a step to boost tourism and help those who are too tired to walk from one end to another.
These golf carts are eco-friendly as they are operated by a battery which is re-chargeable. The seating capacity in one golf at Shimla will range from 9 to 13 people. A total of 16 carts have already started the operations. Shimla Municipal Corporation had done a trial run of these golf cars on various roads before finally introducing them for public.
Which roads will have golf cars in Shimla?
- Mall Road, Lakkar Bazaar.
- Ridge to Sanjauli
- Central telegraph office to Summerhill
- US Club to St. Bede’s College
- Willows Bank to Chotta Shimla
Golf cars have been tested for steep hills with full seating capacity. The fare has been fixed at Rs. 15 per person which is quite economical. Tickets will be issued through electronic ticketing machines and a proper queue would be made at the boarding points so that there is no rush to board the golf car. To add to the excitement, these cars also have golfing Bluetooth cart speakers.
Specifications of Shimla Golf cars:
- Can run 60-70 Kilometres in one full charge of battery.
- A maximum speed of 20 Kilometres per hour has been fixed for these cars in Shimla.
- Seating capacity of 9 to 13 people depending on cart size and battery.
- There will be special women driven cars as well.
These golf cars will be a great help to senior citizens, women with kids and to physically handicapped people as it will be easier for them to commute in Shimla. 60% of seats will be reserved for them in all golf cars in Shimla.