Chandigarh develops as tricity grows, the proposal of three new underpasses to connect Panchkula region from NH-22 is the latest development and talk of the town which got sanctioned yesterday by Union minister of Road and National Highways Nitin Gadkari on Monday.
The announcement and sanction took place whilst the minister had come to lay the foundation stone of Pinjore-Baddi bypass on Monday.
About the Underpass Project Sanction
The project of development of underpass on NH-22 has been long awaited one and honourable CM of Haryana wrote in his recent letter to Union minister of Road and National Highways to sanction and release budget for the project.
On Monday, while the Minister had come to lay the foundation stone for Pinjore-Baddi bypass, Haryana CM took advantage of his presence and during his addressal rose the demand again. The function was organised near HMT factory in the presence of MLA from Panchkula. The Union Minister in his reply sanctioned the project and asked immediate action to be taken up so that the construction process starts soon.
Why Underpasses are required ?
The sanction would surely aid better road connectivity and tackling traffic chaos in the region after four-laning of the highway project occurred back in the year 2006. Three underpasses are required on NH-22 for the following cited reasons ;
- To reduce traffic chaos from the highway as city people have no other way than to use the highway
- To aid the better road connectivity and build stronger road network in the region
- To provide alternative routes to sectors situated alongside NH-22 mainly Panchkula region
- To increase routes and serve as an aid to decrease internal traffic that occurs in Sector 20 and 21
- To serve as a new entrance to sector 12 and 12A residents who suffer constitute huge traffic volumes
- Extension of existing flyover to occur as a consequence
- To aid the ever growing demands of around 40,000 local people residing in close proximity of the region
Underpass Project – Details and Proposal
NHAI Officials claim that soon after sanctioning occurred, estimated would be prepared soon. Necessary procedures are carried out and here are the details and proposal as to what all would transform when the construction would be done.
- Proposal sent by Harayana PWD to NHAI who have sought approx. INR 65 cr for two underpasses
- Two underpasses proposed, one to link Sector 12A and Sector 20 of Panchkula
- Another one to connect Sector 12 and 21 of the same region
- Third underpass to be constructed in the intersecting junction of Sector 20 and 21
- Third underpass to ensure connectivity to Mohali and eventually International Airport
- NHAI officials ensure faster pce in preparation of estimates to seek approval from Union Ministry
- Panchkula MLA to ensure faster construction of the three proposed underpasses
Sanctioning of such projects not only aid better connectivity and development of the region but also ensures to accommodation of the needs of upcoming future population in the region. This kind of planning and development leads to what we call as “Sustainable development” as it accounts the need of those who do not even exist. This far sightedness shown by NHAI, Haryana CM and local MLA is commendable and worth applause.
Source : HT