Indian Cricket team skipper, Virat Kohli has been awarded the prestigious Padma Shri award by the President of India on 30th March 2017. Kohli has received the fourth highest civilian award from Pranav Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhawan, Delhi for his achievements and contribution in the field of cricket. After receiving the prestigious award Virat Kohli also twitted that, ‘God has been kind’. The aggressive batsman of the Indian Cricket team has been getting a bundle of congratulations in social media from his fans as well as other sports stars.
Virat Kohli Achievements
Super hot cricketer and the heartthrob of the girls in the world, Virat Kohli has a huge number of awards and records in his name. He started his cricket ODI journey in the year 2008 and in a very short period of time he has gained a lot of popularity because of his talent.
- In 2012, he received ICC ODI Player of the Year.
- In 2011-2012, 2014- 16 and 2015-16 he was awarded as BCCI’s Polly Umrigar Award for International Cricketer of the Year.
- In 2013, Virat was awarded Arjuna Award.
- Virat has a record to achieve the fastest cricketer to reach 7000 runs in ODI in the world.
- Fastest in the world to reach 1000 runs in T20.
These are very few numbers of records and achievements of Virat Kohli. As a captain also he has set many benchmarks like he became the first Indian captain to score double century overseas in Test series. He is also the first captain who scored fastest 1000 ODI runs.
Other Padma Shri Awardees 2017
Along with Kohli, Paralympian Deepa Malik and hockey captain P.R. Sreejesh were honoured with the Padma Shri award. With these names, 5 more sportspersons were listed for the prestigious award during the honour list declared on the Republic day celebration.
- Rio Olympic Bronze medalist wrestler Sakshi Malik.
- Paralympian Mariyappan Thangavelu.
- Gymnast Dipa Karmakar.
- Blind Cricket team Captain Shekhar Naik.
- Discus thrower Vikas Gowda.
During the ceremony, vice-president Mohammed Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh were present in the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Congratulations to all the awardee of Padma Shri and hope for some more wings to them in near future.
Image Source = Hindustan Times