Getting reservations in Kalka- Shimla train is next to impossible these days. With the commencement of summer season starts the influx of tourists to Shimla in Himachal Pradesh from around the world.
Reaching Shimla is easier via road from Chandigarh but many tourists prefer to take train, the special narrow gauge line as they want to enjoy the 113-year-old UNESCO World Heritage Kalka – Shimla rail track. But these days, many are struggling hard to book seats for themselves and their families as the trains are going house-full and the waiting list to get your seats confirmed is just close to impossible.
Highlights of Kalka -Shimla train
Remember, the Kareena and Shahid Kapoor starer movie ‘Jab We Met’ when they both are enjoying the ride of the toy train with the picturesque backdrop of windy and charming Shimla.
- There are four trains running between Kalka- Shimla and the railway route including tunnels and bridges are the specimen of British craftsmanship.
- The narrow gauge train got started on November 09, 1903.
- The toy train ride between Kalka- Shimla is 96 km with 762 mm gauge.
- There are total 917 curves/ 25 kmph, 102 tunnels and 988 bridges.
- Tunnel no.33 Barog is the largest tunnel while Tara Devi is the second largest tunnel on the Kalka- Shimla Railway route.
- The winding railway tracks and spell bounding views are so enchanting and refreshing.
Rise in passengers in Kalka-Shimla trains
As per the sources, there is a rise of about 30% passengers travelling via Kalka-Shimla trains than last year. The waiting list for its reservation of seats goes between 80-100, which doesn’t gets confirmed. Currently, also its hard to get the tickets for the Kalka-Shimla trains for next 15-20 days. The rush at this time of the year is due to summer vacation of the kids and people heading to Shimla to find some respite from the scorching heat.
The railway department has added to more special trains to travel to Shimla from Kalka but it seems that the tourist season will fail their plans.
Whatever, may be the reason but travelling via Kalka -Shimla narrow gauge train is a once in a lifetime experience and everyone should travel through it at least once.