Remember the days when you used to buy burgers, hot dogs, patties and other food items in your school canteen? Ah, those were the days… But now, Chandigarh administration has strictly banned the sale of junk food items in school canteens. It is said that the step has been taken keeping in mind the physical and mental health of children which is being affected by junk food.
The orders to ban junk food in Chandigarh Schools
The Chandigarh Commission For The Protection of Child Rights (CCPCR) has issued orders to various private and government schools of Chandigarh for complete ban on the sale of junk food in school canteens. According to the advisory, no such food item should be sold in the school canteens which can have ill-effects on a child’s health. The advisory has prohibited the food items that contains high fat, sugar and salt (HFSS). Let us elaborate it in a simple & sweet way. All food items like burgers, pizzas, patties, carbonated drinks, chocolates and maybe even samosas will fall under this ban.
Main Points about the Junk Food Ban:
- A school canteen management committee should be formed. This committee should include parents, teachers, students, a dietitian and a doctor.
- Healthy food should be provided to the students which should be prepared in hygienic conditions and should be nutritious. It should meet the norms of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- Dietitian should be consulted to prepare the menu for school children.
- Awareness should be created among the Parents about the harmful effects of junk foods. A Strict notice should be sent to parents stating that they should not provide any sort of junk food in the tiffin boxes of their children.
- Students should also be taught in the schools using interesting methods so that they can easily understand the side effects of eating junk food. They can be asked to make posters, write slogans and debates can also be held to discuss the topic.
So, Is this Ban Good or Bad?
We all know that junk food is harmful for everyone. Junk food is a major cause of diseases like obesity, hypertension, diabetes and mental conditions like low self esteem.
It is commonly seen that if a child is very much fond of junk food then he/she becomes overweight which makes them a funny character and they are called motta by their friends and are laughed at. Such type of jokes creates inferiority complex among children and lead to low self esteem. We would say that the ban of junk food in Chandigarh schools is actually good.
But, we feel sorry for the mothers who used to cook some delicious food with 2 – minutes recipes and pack it in the tiffin for their kids. Mam, you’ll have to work a bit harder to cook some healthy food as school authorities have been told to keep a check on what kids bring in the tiffin.