Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has been sworn in as the 44th Chief Justice of India (CJI) on 4th January. He is the first Sikh Chief Justice of India. President Pranav Mukherjee administered the oath of office to Khehar in Rashtrapati Bhavan. J.S Khehar has been appointed as a CJI on a very small tenure, after CJI Justice Tirath Singh Thakur demitted office on 3rd January. Justice Khehar will be the CJI for 7 months and will retire from Supreme Court on 28 August, 2017.
His Connection with Chandigarh
CJI Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar has great connection with the city beautiful Chandigarh. He was born on 28th August 1952 in Punjab and has completed his whole education from Chandigarh.
- He has done his Schooling from Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 16 Chandigarh.
- He is a graduate in Science from Government College, Chandigarh in 1974.
- He also did his L.L.B from Punjab University in the year 1977.
- He has also completed his LL.M degree from Punjab University in 1979 and he was a gold medalist for the same.
- He even started his practice from Punjab and Haryana High Court in Chandigarh.
- He has even been a professor for a short period of time in Punjab University.
Post education, he started his practice as a lawyer in the Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh in the year 1977 and then he practised in Himachal Pradesh High Court, Shimla and thereafter at Supreme Court, New Delhi.
- In 1992, he has been appointed as Additional Advocate General of Punjab and Haryana High Court, Punjab and then as a Senior Standing Council, UT, Chandigarh.
- In the year 1995, he was designated as Senior Advocate.
- He was elevated to the Bench of Punjab and Haryana High Court at Chandigarh in 1999.
- He was appointed as Acting Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court twice in 2008 and 2009.
- Justice Khehar was designated as Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court at Nainital in 2009.
- After that he was transferred to Karnataka High Court as a Chief Justice in 2010.
- In 2011, he was appointed as the Judge of Supreme Court.
J.S Khehar has played very important role in the decision of 2G Scam. More important decision for the benefit of the country is awaited by the New CJI of the country.