Chandigarh saw its first shopping mall in November 2003 with the opening of Fun Republic at Manimajra. This tiny mall was a huge thing during those times. Now, there are 9 malls in and around Chandigarh. We checked out these shopping and entertainment landmarks to prepare an exclusive list of the best or worst things about every shopping mall situated near Chandigarh.
If we talk about the best shopping mall in Chandigarh, then there’s just one name: Elante. So we decided to make this list in a reverse order starting from the worst and moving towards the best. Clicking on the mall name will open a featured page for that mall in a new tab.
- Being developed by TDI (Taneja Developers & Infrastructure), the mall is still under construction.
- Majority of Chandigarh citizens are unaware about its existence.
- TDI Mall is located in Sector 17, but not in the main market area.
- It is small in size and no major food joint or cinema has announced their opening at TDI Mall.
8. Shalimar Mall, Panchkula.
- Located on the main road in Sector 5, Panchkula.
- Shalimar Mall has a nice exterior design.
- The mall has failed to attract shops and showrooms in the mall and hence is still empty.
- Shalimar Mall has Inox Cinemas which can be a good place to watch a movie with an instant plan when you do not get tickets anywhere else in Chandigarh.
- Piccadilly Square came up by renovating the old Piccadilly Cinema Hall in Sector 34.
- It has its own cinema hall.
- Few shops have opened up at the mall but nothing big has come up.
- Piccadilly Square has KFC Restaurant on the ground floor which is a hit among students.
- The mall is small in size but still is a good place for students taking coaching classes in Sector 34 to hang out and watch a movie without going far.
- Just like the above mentioned malls of the city, Centra Mall has never been able to attract large number of crowds.
- Centra Mall was the first mall in Chandigarh to have PVR Cinemas.
- PVR Cinemas gave Centra Mall a decent footfall but everyone came here just to watch a movie.
- The mall has not been able to attract good brands / shops or showrooms.
- City Emporium Mall is a recent addition to the list of shopping malls in Chandigarh.
- It has Wave cinemas on the top floor, which gets an okay footfall.
- It also has a nice food court on the first floor with some good restaurants.
- Recently a disc has also been opened in the mall.
- Despite good interiors and large space, no big brands have come up at City Emporium Mall.
- This mall has a Rolls Royce showroom which is the only showroom for the luxury car company in Chandigarh.
- One flaw of this mall is that it is situated in Zirakpur, 10 Kms from Chandigarh.
- Big in size, Paras Down Town was the only place near Chandigarh to have Big Bazaar.
- The mall has Big Cinemas on the top floor which attracts Chandigarh Citizens too.
- Paras Down Town sees a good footfall everyday due to opening of big brands at the mall.
- One flaw in this shopping mall of Chandigarh is that it does not have a food court. However it has restaurants like Dominos etc.
- North Country Mall is known as the biggest mall of Punjab.
- It has some big brands like – Reliance Fresh, Zara, Westside, Pantaloons, Life Style, Etc.
- One flaw about this mall is that it is situated in Kharar (Punjab) which is 10 Kms outside Chandigarh.
- North Country Mall has PVR Cinemas which is a favorite among residents of this area.
- The mall also has some good sporting and entertainment activities.
- DT Mall is located in a posh area: IT Park, Chandigarh.
- The Mall has DT Cinemas on the top floor which is a favorite among employees of numerous world class companies in IT Park.
- DT Mall has some good shopping brands in the mall and a big food court.
- With just 3 floors, the mall receives a good footfall and can be seen crowded in the evenings.
- Elante Mall is the biggest shopping mall of Chandigarh.
- It has the top national and international brands.
- Elante boosts of a vast food court.
- Elante has got a large number of entertainment activities. It has Fun City on the top floor along with many other sporting activities like Bowling.
- The mall has 8 screen PVR cinemas which often goes house full throughout the week.
Whenever someone talks about shopping malls in Chandigarh, Elante is one such name that comes to our mind. Though there are 8 other malls in Chandigarh but Elante being the biggest, most beautiful, most lively and most crowded has taken over the footfall of other malls in and around Chandigarh city.
The Bottom Line:
While Elante is the best shopping mall in Chandigarh, where you’ll get everything that you can think of, you should also pay a visit to DLF City Center in the IT Park which ranks at Number 2. You’ll find much people at North Country Mall and paras Down Town but these can be good options if you want to watch a movie. You are most welcome to visit every mall in Chandigarh and do let us know if we need to change the order or add something else in this list.
A lot of other malls are under construction in Chandigarh and surrounding areas. Let us see if any new mall will be able to take the charm from Elante.
This list has been prepared by Ajay Deep, a resident of Chandigarh and has visited all these malls a number of times. The rating is based on self-interpretation which has been calculated keeping footfall, occupied showrooms, brand value and popularity of showrooms, food court etc. and has nothing to do with any official rating of shopping malls in Chandigarh.