Tagore theatre, Chandigarh is the oldest yet the best public auditorium in the city. It was established in September 1962 in the memory of Rabindranath Tagore and was sponsored by the Government of India under the scheme during The Tagore Centenary Celebrations.
Since decades, Tagore theatre is the most happening place in Chandigarh for cultural events and plays. With the passing time, Tagore Theatre has gained a lot of popularity and is one of the favourite indoor places for the citizens of Chandigarh to witness the various types of events.
Tagore theatre Chandigarh is managed by a society named Tagore Theatre society that was formed in 1962 with one of the famous actors of Bollywood, Lt Prithviraj Kapoor as its first chairman. The Tagore society was registered in the year 1972 and since then, the society has been responsible for managing Chandigarh’s Tagore Theatre on a whole.
Tagore Theatre (Sector 18) – Seating Capacity
Located in the centre of the city beautiful Chandigarh in Sector 18, Tagore Theatre provides all the facilities required to organize an indoor event. From the main auditorium to Rehearsal halls, green room to book shop, Tagore theatre offers the best that any event organiser in Chandigarh would want.
The main auditorium of Tagore theatre in Chandigarh can accommodate 801 people. Seating capacity of the main auditorium of Chandigarh’s Tagore theatre has been distributed as mention below:
- Left Balcony: 37
- Right Balcony: 37
- Front Block: 477
- Rear Block: 250
So, the total seating capacity at Tagore theatre Chandigarh is 801 people.
The stage is also huge enough for a group of people to perform together. Be it dance, drama or some puppet show.
Tagore Theatre Chandigarh – Contact Details
Events at Tagore Theatre, Chandigarh
Tagore Theatre in Chandigarh is the busiest auditorium in the city. Every day some or the other events are taking place in the Tagore theatre auditorium at Chandigarh. Be it school annual function or some cultural programmes, Tagore theatre is one such stop for everyone in the city. Some popular types of events that keep on happening at Tagore Theatre are:
- Drama Plays
- Cultural programmes
- Different Festivals (Musical, comedy)
- Shows (Puppet, music, comedy)
- Annual functions of schools & colleges.
- Seminars of companies.
Chandigarh’s Tagore Theatre is one such place that has organized tens of thousands of events till date and have catered to zillions of people as guests.
Tagore Theatre, Sec 18, Chandigarh – Booking Rates
The charges to book Tagore theatre Chandigarh are different depending upon the type of organisation you are and the type of event you are planning.
Booking rates of main auditorium at Chandigarh Tagore Theatre
- If you are a NGO/ an Amateur theatre group or some Pracheen Kala Kendra then the booking charges are Rs. 10,000 (if the entry is free) and Rs. 20,000 if you plan to seel tickets. And for rehearsals in main auditorium, one have to pay Rs. 5000 and Rs. 10,000 (ticketed).
- For UT Govt. Dept, a School, a College or some institutes in Chandigarh, booking charges at Tagore Theatre will Rs. 10,000. For rehearsals, organisers have to pay Rs. 5000.
- For any other organisation it is Rs. 50,000. (Whether it’s a free event or a ticketed one).
Rehearsal hall rates of Tagore theatre
- For NGO, Amateur theatre group, UT Govt. Deptt., Pracheen Kala Kendra, Colleges, Trust, Institute (Without AC): NIL.
- For Schools without AC (if both slots are booked at the time): 75% of the rent applicable.
- AC Basement (For 4 hours): Rs. 3000.
- Outside premises for displaying publicity material or tables (for 5 hours): Rs. 2000.
- Glass foyer for exhibitions on art or culture (for 5 hours): Rs. 2500.
- Exhibition of paintings in front of canteen area (9 AM to 7 PM): Rs. 500.
- NGO, Amateur theatre groups, UT Govt. Deptt: Rs. 7500.
- Free booking: Rs. 10000.
- Rent Rs. 20000- Rs. 50000: Rs. 15000.
If the time limit crossed by the organisers by a fraction of an hour between 10 minutes to 25 minutes, then it will be rounded off to half an hour then the rent will be charged for full one hour by the Tagore theatre society in Chandigarh. Applicable service tax will also be charged.
Time Slot for shows sector 18, Tagore theatre
Tagore theatre society offers 2-time slots to organisers for events in Chandigarh.
- The morning slot (10 AM to 2 PM): 4 hours will be allotted to the organisers as per the time slot for the event. The auditorium of Chandigarh’s Tagore theatre will be handed over to the organisers for preparations just 2 and a half hours before the event. And the organisers have to empty the auditorium by 3 PM at any chance.
- The evening slot (6 PM to 10 PM): In the evening slot also 4 hours will be allotted to the organisers to conduct the event. And the organisers have to vacant the place by 11 PM.
One can collect the form for the booking purpose from the Assistant Director of Tagore theatre, Chandigarh or can download it from the official website of Tagore theatre Chandigarh i.e www.tagoretheatrechd.org.
For all upcoming events scheduled at Tagore Theatre Chandigarh, click below:
[button color=”orange” size=”medium” link=”https://chandigarhmetro.com/category/chandigarh-events” icon=”” target=”false”]Upcoming Events at Tagore Theatre, Chandigarh[/button]