After a ban on sale of liqour, the Indian government has made amendments to the old bill taking care of traffic offences and the fine being paid. According to the reports, the new fine for drunk driving has been increased to a whopping amount of Rs. 10,000. That’s not all, along with the fine, driving licence might also be suspended for 3 months.
Earlier, drunk driving fine in Chandigarh and many other states of India was fixed at Rs. 2000. The new fine rate of Rs. 10,000 is direct 5 times hike from the previous price.
Changes in the Bill
- Challan for drunk driving fine raised from Rs. 2000 to Rs. 10,000.
- If a drunk driver is involved in an accident, a non-bailable warrant will be issued.
- You may be imprisoned for up to 10 years.
- Driving licence will be suspended for 3 months. (In case of first offence).
- For repeated offence, driving licence may be completely cancelled.
It has been noticed that not just Chandigarh but many urban cities of India face the problem of drunk driving. Nightlife is one culprit to this situation. According to authorities, increase in the fine is purely justified as there is a need to deal with people who drink and drive on a strict forum.
More from the Changed Traffic Offences Bill
If you own a car and you hand over your car to juveniles you will have to bear a heavy fine. You will be fined up to Rs. 25,000 with or without imprisonment up to three years.
Learner’s license will be granted on basis of Aadhar verification.
Revised compensation to victims of road accidents:
- Compensation raised from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 10 Lakh in case of death
- Compensation raised from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 5 Lakh in case of serious injury.