After the operation of Chandigarh International Airport in September, many International flights have taken off from the Airport and the numbers are still increasing with the passing days. Apart from the number of International flights, Chandigarh International Airport has also seen an increase in the number of International passengers. As per the stats revealed by the AAI (Airport Authorities of India) the number of International passengers to fly from Chandigarh has gone to 12,797 in the month of December. Whereas as the numbers in the month of September was 2,902.
The increasing numbers:
Air India was the first one to take off an international flight to Sharjah from Chandigarh International Airport in the month of September 2016. After which Indigo airlines also took off the flight to Dubai in the same month from the Airport.
- In the month of September, the number was 2,902.
- Whereas it increased in the month of October to 7,626.
- In November month, the number of International passengers went to 12,127.
- In the month of December, it was recorded to 12,797.
- There have been 1,24,132 number of increase in the total number of passengers at the airport from April to December month as compared to the previous year.
The traffic has not only increased of the International passengers, but the domestic travellers have also been increased in the last 10 years from Chandigarh Airport. In 2006- 2007, the domestic traffic was 1.54 lakh and in 2015- 2016, it have been reached upto 15.43 lakh.
Chandigarh and the International Connection:
Chandigarh International Airport has been inaugurated in September 2015 by the Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, but it took 1 year for the operation of the Chandigarh International Airport. And the first international flight took off in September 2016 to Abu Dhabi.
- Flight from Chandigarh to Sharjah by Air India. (First International flight from the airport).
- Indigo airlines operates its International flight to Dubai from Chandigarh.
- Air India to come up with its flights to Singapore and Bangkok from Chandigarh in April or May 2017.
- Jet Airways is also set to start a daily flight to Abu Dhabi from Chandigarh by the end of the year.
With the increasing number of International passengers, Chandigarh International is also hoping to increase the number of International flights to various countries. Soon we may see the flights to U.S, Canada, Australia and other destinations also from the city beautiful Chandigarh.
Also, check out: